What is Vocational Education and Training?
Vocational Education and Training (also known as VET) provides practical workplace specific skills and knowledge. VET will provide you with qualifications ranging from Cert II to Diplomas and Advanced Diplomas. It covers a large number of careers and industries like office work, retail, technology, hospitality and many different trades.
Why choose VET?
A popular feature of VET courses is that they have often been designed by professionals from the particular field you’re studying and therefore have direct relevance to employment in that industry. Another great feature of VET courses
is that they are flexible and can be a stepping stone to further study at university. Training delivery methods can include: class room style, online or practical workplace experience.
Delivered by Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) and TAFEs across the country, course offerings range from Certificate II to Certificate IV, and Diploma and Advanced Diploma levels. You can also undertake part qualifications or “skill sets”, so you can obtain credit for what you have completed and move on to another course or another institution afterwards and the training will still be recognised. Once completed, some VET courses will also give you credit for further studies at university.
The benefits of undertaking VET courses include:
- They are a great way to get a start in a chosen career
- You are able to complete courses that are nationally recognised from the Australian Qualifications Training Framework and can relocate anywhere across Australia and continue both your career pathways and your study
- You can choose from up to six levels of nationally recognised qualifications in most industries
- You have the ability to choose subjects and courses that suit your interests and future career
- You can undertake flexible study options so that you can juggle life priorities while you complete your course
- You can complete courses while at school or through a Traineeship or Apprenticeship pathway and get paid while you learn
- Once complete, you can link to further study options including access to university from completion of a Certificate IV or higher qualification
- A number of courses can be funded through various State and Federal programs - meaning you'll launch your career with minimal study debt!