Tool and Die Makers make and repair tools, dies, jigs, fixtures and other precision parts and equipment to fine tolerances for machine tools and other production machinery.
- How many are employed in this occupation?
- What are the average weekly earnings for full time workers ($ before tax)?
- How does unemployment compare with other occupations?
- What are the job prospects for this occupation?
- What will be the likely future employment growth for the next five years?
Take our Career Quiz to match your "Skill Set Style" with a career.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- studying drawings and specifications to determine dimensions and tolerances of articles to be manufactured and models to be constructed
- measuring and marking out metal stock and castings using various gauges
- shaping metal and wood stock using machine tools
- checking accuracy of manufactured articles and finished patterns to fine tolerances, using precision measuring instruments
- testing and modifying manufactured articles
- applying protective finishes to patterns and painting pattern sections to indicate method of assembly
- assembling pattern sections and shaping work pieces to specified finish
- pouring and spreading materials into moulds and over models of patterns, and building laminations of fibreglass cloth and plastic resin to fabricate patterns
- repairing broken and damaged patterns and correcting patterns to compensate for defects in casting
- constructing templates for layout and inspection
VET (Vocational Education And Training)
- Certificate III in Engineering - Mechanical Trade (Specialising in Toolmaking)
Other Careers In This Industry
Light Vehicle Motor Mechanical Apprentice
- JYW PTY LTD
- This is an apprenticeship. Apprentices will service and repair the mechanical parts of motor vehicles such as engines, transmissions (clutch, gear box and differential) and suspension systems (springs, steering, brakes, wheels and tyres and wheel alignment).
- Well established family business
- We are a platinum Kumho dealer
- We are located next to public transport
- Trades & ServicesMotor Mechanics
- Wed 12 Jun , 2019
- Belmore, New South Wales
- Wed 12 Jun , 2019
- Melbourne, Victoria
- Tue 11 Jun , 2019
- Greensborough, Victoria
Career data sourced from: http://joboutlook.gov.au/