Metal Fitters and Machinists fit and assemble fabricated metal parts into products, set up machining tools, production machines and textile machines, and operate machining tools and machines to shape metal stock and castings.
Metal Fitters and Machinists
- How many are employed in this occupation?
- What are the average weekly earnings for full time workers ($ before tax)?
- How does unemployment compare with other occupations?
- What are the job prospects for this occupation?
- What will be the likely future employment growth for the next five years?
Take our Career Quiz to match your "Skill Set Style" with a career.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- studying drawings and specifications to determine suitable material, method and sequence of operations, and machine settings
- fitting fabricated metal parts into products and assembling metal parts and subassemblies to produce machines and equipment
- checking fabricated and assembled metal parts for accuracy, clearance and fit using precision measuring instruments
- setting guides, stops and other controls on machining tools, setting up prescribed cutting and shaping tools and dies in machines and presses, and setting controls for textile machines
- forming metal stock and castings to fine tolerances using machining tools to press, cut, grind, plane, bore and drill metal
- cutting, threading, bending and installing hydraulic and pneumatic pipes and lines
- preparing pattern mechanisms to control the operation of textile machines used to spin, weave, knit, sew and tuft fabric
- diagnosing faults and performing operational maintenance of machines, and overhauling and repairing mechanical parts and fluid power equipment
- may erect machines and equipment on-site
- Fitter and Turner
- Metal Machinist (First Class)
- Textile, Clothing and Footwear Mechanic
- Metal Fitters and Machinists
VET (Vocational Education And Training)
- Certificate III in Engineering - Mechanical Trade - Maintenance - Fitting and Turning
Other Careers In This Industry
Apprentice Landscape Gardener
- Greenworx Pty Limited
- You will be working with great leaders to provide landscape maintenance for our clients. Your day will involve tasks like mowing and lawn maintenance, hedging and pruning and other soft landscape maintenance tasks.
- We have great teams who work well together and enjoy their jobs
- We are an expanding company with plenty of scope for advancement
- We will make sure that you get all the training and support you need to be successful
- Trades & ServicesGardeners
- Tue 14 Jan , 2020
- Kings Park, New South Wales
- S & S Auto Electrical Services P/L
- You will be assessed on your knowledge and trained how to repair heavy vehicles and earthmoving equipment and trained to to complete Air Conditioning services and repairs, you will be teamed with a tradesman and taught the correct procedures to enable you to work in supervised. You will learn all about workshop durties to keep a clean and efficient safe work area.
- well established business
- great team of tradesmen
- variety of work and extensive opportunity to learn
- Trades & ServicesAutomotive Electricians
- Sun 12 Jan , 2020
- Smithfield, New South Wales
- Tue 7 Jan , 2020
- Kilmore, Victoria
Career data sourced from: http://joboutlook.gov.au/