Metal Fitters and Machinists fit and assemble fabricated metal parts into products, set up machining tools, production machines and textile machines, and operate machining tools and machines to shape metal stock and castings.
Metal Fitters and Machinists
- How many are employed in this occupation?
- What are the average weekly earnings for full time workers ($ before tax)?
- How does unemployment compare with other occupations?
- What are the job prospects for this occupation?
- What will be the likely future employment growth for the next five years?
Take our Career Quiz to match your "Skill Set Style" with a career.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- studying drawings and specifications to determine suitable material, method and sequence of operations, and machine settings
- fitting fabricated metal parts into products and assembling metal parts and subassemblies to produce machines and equipment
- checking fabricated and assembled metal parts for accuracy, clearance and fit using precision measuring instruments
- setting guides, stops and other controls on machining tools, setting up prescribed cutting and shaping tools and dies in machines and presses, and setting controls for textile machines
- forming metal stock and castings to fine tolerances using machining tools to press, cut, grind, plane, bore and drill metal
- cutting, threading, bending and installing hydraulic and pneumatic pipes and lines
- preparing pattern mechanisms to control the operation of textile machines used to spin, weave, knit, sew and tuft fabric
- diagnosing faults and performing operational maintenance of machines, and overhauling and repairing mechanical parts and fluid power equipment
- may erect machines and equipment on-site
- Fitter and Turner
- Metal Machinist (First Class)
- Textile, Clothing and Footwear Mechanic
- Metal Fitters and Machinists
VET (Vocational Education And Training)
- Certificate III in Engineering - Mechanical Trade - Maintenance - Fitting and Turning
Other Careers In This Industry
- Tue 14 Aug , 2018
- Batemans Bay, New South Wales
Apprentice Electrician 2-4 year
- Disc Electrical NSW Pty Ltd
- As an Apprentice Electrician you will be involved in CCTV, Access Control Systems, Intercom Systems, Fibre Optics & general electrical under the supervision of licensed technicians.
- Solid well established small business servicing an extensive & varied client base.
- We are a company capable of providing a diversity of skills in house.
- We are mainly a youthful team of friendly skilled technicians supporting a variety of learning experiences.
- Trades & ServicesElectricians
- Mon 13 Aug , 2018
- Taren Point, New South Wales
- Fri 10 Aug , 2018
- $20,001 - $30,000
- Rosebery, New South Wales
Career data sourced from: http://joboutlook.gov.au/