Jewellers make and repair jewellery such as rings, brooches, chains and bracelets, craft objects out of precious metals, and cut, shape and polish rough gemstones to produce fashion and industrial jewels.
- How many are employed in this occupation?
- How does unemployment compare with other occupations?
- What are the job prospects for this occupation?
- What will be the likely future employment growth for the next five years?
Take our Career Quiz to match your "Skill Set Style" with a career.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- examining designs and specifications for jewellery and precious metal objects
- shaping moulded metal by cutting, filing, beating, turning and bending, using specialised hand and power tools
- assembling articles by soldering, screwing, riveting and otherwise joining
- securing precious stones in retaining prongs and ridges, and smoothing and checking final settings
- engraving designs on ring settings, brooches, bracelets and other articles
- repairing jewellery by soldering, replacing and rebuilding worn and broken parts
- appraising the quality and value of jewellery
- cutting and dividing stones to approximate final shape, using precision hand and power tools and jigs
- securing stones and shapes, cutting angles, smoothing and polishing
- finishing articles using files, emery paper and buffing machines
- restyling old jewellery
VET (Vocational Education And Training)
- Certificate III in Jewellery Manufacture
- Certificate IV in Advanced Jewellery Manufacture
- Diploma of Jewellery and Object Design
Other Careers In This Industry
- Thu 23 Jan , 2020
- Haberfield, New South Wales
- Wed 22 Jan , 2020
- Kirrawee, New South Wales
Apprentice cabinet maker
- You will assist experienced cabinet makers in cutting, assembling and installing home furniture items
- A small company with skilled tradespeople to teach you
- A variety of work so you quickly learn a number of skills
- TAFE training one day a week
- Trades & ServicesCabinetmakers
- Wed 22 Jan , 2020
- Marrickville, New South Wales
Career data sourced from: http://joboutlook.gov.au/