Carpenters and Joiners construct, erect, install, renovate and repair structures and fixtures made of wood, plywood, wallboard and other materials, and cut, shape and fit timber parts to form structures and fittings.
Image supplied by ShureThing Carpentry
- How many are employed in this occupation?
- What are the average weekly earnings for full time workers ($ before tax)?
- How does unemployment compare with other occupations?
- What are the job prospects for this occupation?
- What will be the likely future employment growth for the next five years?
Take our Career Quiz to match your "Skill Set Style" with a career.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- studying drawings and specifications to determine materials required, dimensions and installation procedures
- ordering and selecting timbers and materials, and preparing layouts
- cutting materials, and assembling and nailing cut and shaped parts
- erecting framework and roof framing, laying sub-flooring and floorboards and verifying trueness of structures
- nailing fascia panels, sheathing roofs, and fitting exterior wall cladding and door and window frames
- assembling prepared wood to form structures and fittings ready to install
- cutting wood joints
- may construct concrete formwork
- may repair existing fittings
- may work with plastic laminates, perspex and metals
- Carpenter and Joiner
VET (Vocational Education And Training)
- Certificate II in Construction
- Certificate III in Carpentry & Joinery
Other Careers In This Industry
Apprenticeship in Joinery
- Eric jones Staribuilding Group
- Our Timber steam is looking for someone who is eager to kick start their career and completing an Apprenticeship in Joinery Staircase Building with us. You’ will learn skills associated with making custom and traditional stairs, handrails and balustrades. As an Apprentice, you will be based in our workshop in Nunawading and occasionally on site.
- Great place to work
- Work with a leader in the stairbuilding industry
- Mentoring & Support
- Trades & ServicesCarpenters and Joiners
- Thu 20 Feb , 2020
- Nunawading, Victoria
Ist year Metalwork Apprentice
- Wardrobe & Carroll
- First year apprentice to learn all aspects of metalwork including welding, manufacturing items and finishing work.
TAFE attendance required. Must have competent Maths & English skills. Driver's licence an advantage or willingness to obtain licence.
- Small Friendly workshop with lots of varied work for long established & reputable company
- Walking distance from shops & station
- Occasional overtime available
- Trades & ServicesMetal Casting, Forging & Finishing Trades
- Tue 18 Feb , 2020
- Kirrawee, New South Wales
- Fri 14 Feb , 2020
- Marrickville, New South Wales
© Department of Education, Skills and Employment, joboutlook.gov.au