Butchers select, cut, trim, prepare and arrange meat for sale and supply, operate meat and smallgoods processing machines, and manage the processes in the production of smallgoods.
Image sourced from Unsplash
- How many are employed in this occupation?
- What are the average weekly earnings for full time workers ($ before tax)?
- How does unemployment compare with other occupations?
- What are the job prospects for this occupation?
- What will be the likely future employment growth for the next five years?
Take our Career Quiz to match your "Skill Set Style" with a career.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- preparing meat for sale by removing bones, trimming fat and cutting, mincing and grinding meat to shape and size for display or as ordered
- preparing crumbed cuts of meat, and marinating, seasoning and curing special cuts
- selecting and preparing meat to produce smallgoods
- operating machines to grind, mix, mince and tenderise meat
- making seasonings and pickles by mixing spices, salt and other ingredients
- operating sausage filling machines, smoking chambers, and cooking kettles and vats
- advising customers on the suitability and uses of cuts of meat
- may assist in menu planning and scheduling, and in estimating food production costs
VET (Vocational Education And Training)
- Certificate III in Meat Processing (Retail Butcher)
Other Careers In This Industry
- Wed 14 Apr , 2021
- Thomastown, Victoria
Parks and Garden Certificate III Apprenticeship
- Emerald Property Services P/L
- Emerald seeks 1st year apprentices candidates to be involved in the provision of our lawn and landscape maintenance services across Sydney. Candidates should be strong team players wanting to learn all the hands on and Tafe based instruction leading to a Trade Qualification. Work will start and finish from Baulkham Hills base with Public transport near by. Drivers license is a plus.
- Trades & ServicesLandscape Gardener
- Wed 14 Apr , 2021
- Baulkham Hills, New South Wales
- Tue 13 Apr , 2021
- North Perth, Western Australia
© Department of Education, Skills and Employment, joboutlook.gov.au