Bricklayers and Stonemasons lay bricks, pre-cut stones and other types of building blocks in mortar to construct and repair walls, partitions, arches and other structures, and cut and shape hard and soft stone blocks and masonry slabs for the construction and renovation of stone structures and monumental masonry.
Image supplied by ShureThing Carpentry
Bricklayers and Stonemasons
- How many are employed in this occupation?
- What are the average weekly earnings for full time workers ($ before tax)?
- How does unemployment compare with other occupations?
- What are the job prospects for this occupation?
- What will be the likely future employment growth for the next five years?
Take our Career Quiz to match your "Skill Set Style" with a career.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- studying plans and specifications to determine materials required, dimensions and installation procedures
- erecting and dismantling restricted height scaffolding
- sealing foundations with damp-resistant materials and spreading layers of mortar to serve as base and binder for blocks using trowels
- laying bricks in rows, designs and shapes, and spreading mortar between joints
- embedding blocks in mortar and removing excess mortar
- checking vertical and horizontal alignment
- cutting, shaping and polishing stones and bricks using machines and hand tools, and shaping bricks to fit irregular spaces
- repairing and maintaining bricks, cement blocks and related structures
- designing and cutting monumental masonry and lettering
- constructing walls using stone slabs and large masonry slab blocks
VET (Vocational Education And Training)
- Certificate II in Construction Pathways
- Certificate III in Bricklaying/Blocklaying, Certificate III in Stonemason
Other Careers In This Industry
- Apprentice painter
- Opportunity learn from experienced tradespeople who are passionate and knowledgeable
- Work on amazing, high end residential projects with a wide range of interesting finishes and materials
- Paid lunch break and friendly working environment
- Trades & ServicesPainting Trades Workers
- Sun 12 Jul , 2020
- Perth, Western Australia
Outdoor Power Equipment Technology Traineeship
- Kiama Mowers
- Small Engine Mechanics maintain, test and repair engines of chainsaws, lawn mowers, garden tractors and other equipment with small engines. I am looking for someone that has started, or wants to start the 3 year TAFE course in Outdoor Power Equipment Technology and work beside a qualified technician to learn hands on. Once experienced/qualified you are in a highly sought after role, a definite shortage of technicians exists through-out the industry.
- Work anywhere with the skills & qualification you will achieve in this role, not enough small motor mechanics out there.
- One to one learning...learn the business from me & the mechanical skills from a qualified technician.
- Work on a wide array of gear ranging from walk behind & ride on mowers to demo saws & compactors.
- Trades & ServicesMotor Mechanics
- Fri 10 Jul , 2020
- Kiama, New South Wales
- Tue 7 Jul , 2020
- Sydney, New South Wales
© Department of Education, Skills and Employment, joboutlook.gov.au