Bricklayers and Stonemasons lay bricks, pre-cut stones and other types of building blocks in mortar to construct and repair walls, partitions, arches and other structures, and cut and shape hard and soft stone blocks and masonry slabs for the construction and renovation of stone structures and monumental masonry.
Image supplied by ShureThing Carpentry
Bricklayers and Stonemasons
- How many are employed in this occupation?
- What are the average weekly earnings for full time workers ($ before tax)?
- How does unemployment compare with other occupations?
- What are the job prospects for this occupation?
- What will be the likely future employment growth for the next five years?
Take our Career Quiz to match your "Skill Set Style" with a career.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- studying plans and specifications to determine materials required, dimensions and installation procedures
- erecting and dismantling restricted height scaffolding
- sealing foundations with damp-resistant materials and spreading layers of mortar to serve as base and binder for blocks using trowels
- laying bricks in rows, designs and shapes, and spreading mortar between joints
- embedding blocks in mortar and removing excess mortar
- checking vertical and horizontal alignment
- cutting, shaping and polishing stones and bricks using machines and hand tools, and shaping bricks to fit irregular spaces
- repairing and maintaining bricks, cement blocks and related structures
- designing and cutting monumental masonry and lettering
- constructing walls using stone slabs and large masonry slab blocks
VET (Vocational Education And Training)
- Certificate II in Construction Pathways
- Certificate III in Bricklaying/Blocklaying, Certificate III in Stonemason
Other Careers In This Industry
- Fri 30 Jul , 2021
- $20,001 - $30,000
- Osborne Park, Western Australia
- Fri 30 Jul , 2021
- Casuarina, Western Australia
Apprentice Hairdresser 3rd Year
- Hairhouse Ipswich
- Want to join the exciting industry of hair and beauty?
Then why not join Australia’s leading hair and beauty services retailer?
With over 120 stores across Australia, Hairhouse salons offer professional hair services and the widest range of hair products along with a piercing studio!
- Trades & ServicesHairdressers
- Thu 29 Jul , 2021
- North Ipswich, Queensland
© Department of Education, Skills and Employment, joboutlook.gov.au