Optometrists and Orthoptists perform eye examinations and vision tests, prescribe lenses, other optical aids and therapy, and diagnose and manage eye movement disorders and associated sensory problems.
Image sourced from iStock.
Optometrists and Orthoptists
- How many are employed in this occupation?
- What are the average weekly earnings for full time workers ($ before tax)?
- How does unemployment compare with other occupations?
- What are the job prospects for this occupation?
- What will be the likely future employment growth for the next five years?
Take our Career Quiz to match your "Skill Set Style" with a career.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- examining patients' eyes and setting tests to determine the nature and extent of vision problems and abnormalities
- assessing ocular health and visual function by measuring visual acuity and refractive error, and testing the function of visual pathways, visual fields, eye movements, freedom of vision and intraocular pressure, and performing other tests using special eye test equipment
- detecting, diagnosing and managing eye disease, referring patients to, and receiving referrals from other health providers, and prescribing medications for the treatment of eye disease
- diagnosing eye movement disorders and defects of binocular function
- prescribing lenses, contact lenses and low vision aids, and checking suitability and comfort
- prescribing exercises to coordinate movement and focusing of eyes
- managing programs for eye movement disorders, and instructing and counselling patients in the use of corrective techniques and eye exercises
- advising on visual health matters such as contact lens care, vision care for the elderly, optics, visual ergonomics, and occupational and industrial eye safety
- conducting preventative screening programs
- conducting rehabilitation programs for the visually impaired
- Bachelor of Optometry / Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Health Sciences
- Master of Orthoptics
Other Careers In This Industry
- Tue 11 May , 2021
- $30,001 - $40,000
- Melbourne, Victoria
- Sat 24 Apr , 2021
- Jindabyne, New South Wales
Health Care Assistant Trainee
- Enriched Health Care
- The Enriched Health Care team is committed to values of honesty, ethics, respect, integrity, diversity, innovation, person & family centred health and care.
We are looking for a Health Care Assistant Trainee who shares our vision, mission and values, with a genuine passion for delivering only the highest standards in health care.
Our Health Care Assistant is responsible for providing exceptional support to Health Care Professionals to achieve participant care goals.
- Healthcare & MedicalNursing Support and Personal Care Workers
- Mon 19 Apr , 2021
- Port Macquarie, New South Wales
© Department of Education, Skills and Employment, joboutlook.gov.au