Are you interested in helping people improve their health? Do you enjoy caring for others? Perhaps you would like to assist people experiencing a disability, or are keen to get involved in the wellness industry. If you are intrigued by these possibilities, a job in the Health Care and Social Assistance sector may be for you.
The Health Care and Social Assistance industry encompasses a diversity of occupations, ranging from fields such as dental hygiene, optometry, pharmacy, disability services, mental health and aged-care, to fitness training, sports science, lifestyle coaching and nutrition.
The Health Training Package offers over 75 Vocational and Training (VET) qualifications, so if you’re interested in health you’ll probably find an occupation and qualification to suit you!
Don’t forget it’s possible to begin your Health Care and Social Assistance career by training for VET qualifications to start with before possibly working your way up to a University Degree.
The Health Care and Social Assistance sector has experienced strong growth in the last ten years, making it one of Australia’s largest employers and the growth is forecast to continue, so jobs in this industry are expected to be plentiful. Check out the list of qualifications below.
Training & Qualifications
A wide range of courses are available in the Health Care industry, from Certificate (II, III, IV) levels all the way up to Doctorates.
And there are opportunities to specialise within areas that you would like to explore more deeply, such as ambulance communications, indigenous environment health, dental assistance and Generalist Medical Practitioners. Some examples of qualifications that you might want to consider include:
* Some occupations in this industry require further registration or licensing that is not a part of any formal qualification you study.
- Ambulance Officers and Paramedics - Diploma of Paramedical Science (Ambulance) and/or Advanced Diploma of Paramedical Science (Ambulance)
- Dieticians – Advanced Diploma of Nutritional Medicine and/or Bachelor of Human Nutrition
- Dental Assistants - Certificate III in Dental Assisting and/ or Certificate IV in Dental Assisting
- Aged and Disabled Carers- Certificate III Aged Care and/or Certificate IV Aged Care (Aged Care) Certificate III in Disability and/or Certificate IV in Disability (Disability)
Head to the Career pages to find out more >