Industrial, Mechanical and Production Engineers design, organise and oversee the construction, operation and maintenance of mechanical and process plant and installations, establish programs for the coordination of manufacturing activities, and ensure usage of resources is cost effective.
Image sourced from Shutterstock.
Industrial, Mechanical and Production Engineers
- How many are employed in this occupation?
- What are the average weekly earnings for full time workers ($ before tax)?
- How does unemployment compare with other occupations?
- What are the job prospects for this occupation?
- What will be the likely future employment growth for the next five years?
This career is suited to
Find out more
Take our Career Quiz to match your "Skill Set Style" with a career.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks
- studying functional statements, organisational charts and project information to determine functions and responsibilities of workers and work units and to identify areas of duplication
- establishing work measurement programs and analysing work samples to develop standards for labour utilisation
- analysing workforce utilisation, facility layout, operational data and production schedules and costs to determine optimum worker and equipment efficiencies
- designing mechanical equipment, machines, components, products for manufacture, and plant and systems for construction
- developing specifications for manufacture, and determining materials, equipment, piping, material flows, capacities and layout of plant and systems
- organising and managing project labour and the delivery of materials, plant and equipment
- establishing standards and policies for installation, modification, quality control, testing, inspection and maintenance according to engineering principles and safety regulations
- inspecting plant to ensure optimum performance is maintained
- directing the maintenance of plant buildings and equipment, and coordinating the requirements for new designs, surveys and maintenance schedules
- Industrial Engineer
- Mechanical Engineer
- Production or Plant Engineer
VET (Vocational Education And Training)
- Certificate II in Engineering
- Certificate III in Engineering - Production Systems, Certificate III in Engineering - Mechanical Trade
- Certificate IV in Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering *
Other Careers In This Industry
- Thu 25 Nov , 2021
- Kogarah, New South Wales
- Wed 24 Nov , 2021
- $20,001 - $30,000
- Picton, New South Wales
- Tue 23 Nov , 2021
- Wonthella, Western Australia
© Department of Education, Skills and Employment, joboutlook.gov.au