Chemical and Materials Engineers design and prepare specifications for chemical process systems and the construction and operation of commercial-scale chemical plants, supervise industrial processing and fabrication of products undergoing physical and chemical change, and investigate the properties of metals, ceramics, polymers and other materials and assess and develop their engineering and commercial applications.
Engineers (Chemical and Material)
- How many are employed in this occupation?
- What are the average weekly earnings for full time workers ($ before tax)?
- How does unemployment compare with other occupations?
- What are the job prospects for this occupation?
- What will be the likely future employment growth for the next five years?
This career is suited to
Find out more
Take our Career Quiz to match your "Skill Set Style" with a career.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks
- preparing designs for chemical process systems and planning control systems for processes such as those used to remove and separate components, effect chemical changes, test and evaluate fuels, transfer heat, and control the storing and handling of solids,liquids and gases
- monitoring the operation and maintenance of equipment to achieve maximum efficiency under safe operating conditions
- ensuring correct materials and equipment are used and that they conform to specifications
- diagnosing malfunctions in chemical plants and instituting remedial action
- studying product utilisation and pollution control problems
- reviewing plans for new products and submitting material selection recommendations in accordance with design specifications and factors such as strength, weight and cost
- planning and implementing laboratory operations to develop new materials and fabrication procedures for new materials to fulfil production cost and performance standards
- conferring with producers of materials, such as metals, ceramics, polymers, cements and elastomers, during the investigation and evaluation of materials suitable for specific product applications
- reviewing product failure data and implementing laboratory tests to establish or reject possible causes, and advising on ways to overcome any problems
- Chemical Engineer
- Materials Engineer
- Bachelor of Engineering - Chemical *
- Bachelor of Engineering *
- Master of Engineering *
Other Careers In This Industry
TOOLMAKER / FITTER & TURNER
- STUG AUSTRALIA PTY LTD
- Toolmaker / Fitter @ Turner who is interested in working with different materials plastics, stainless steels, brass, aluminium etc. The role has long term opportunities. It is perfect for a 4th year apprentice or newly qualified who is up for a challenge and open to learning.
- Good team culture
- Excellent, clean, friendly working environment.
- Long term opportunities
- EngineeringIndustrial, Mechanical and Production Engineers
- Wed 11 Mar , 2020
- Clayton, Victoria
© Department of Education, Skills and Employment, joboutlook.gov.au