Electrical Engineers design, develop and supervise the manufacture, installation, operation and maintenance of equipment, machines and systems for the generation, distribution, utilisation and control of electric power.
Image sourced from Shutterstock.
- How many are employed in this occupation?
- What are the average weekly earnings for full time workers ($ before tax)?
- How does unemployment compare with other occupations?
- What are the job prospects for this occupation?
- What will be the likely future employment growth for the next five years?
This career is suited to
Find out more
Take our Career Quiz to match your "Skill Set Style" with a career.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- planning and designing power stations and power generation equipment
- determining the type and arrangement of circuits, transformers, circuit-breakers, transmission lines and other equipment
- developing products such as electric motors, components, equipment and appliances
- interpreting specifications, drawings, standards and regulations relating to electric power equipment and use
- organising and managing resources used in the supply of electrical components, machines, appliances and equipment
- establishing delivery and installation schedules for machines, switchgear, cables and fittings
- supervising the operation and maintenance of power stations, transmission and distribution systems and industrial plants
- designing and installing control and signalling equipment for road, rail and air traffic
- may specialise in research in areas such as power generation and transmission systems, transformers, switchgear and electric motors, telemetry and control systems.
VET (Vocational Education And Training)
- Certificate II in Engineering
- Certificate III in Engineering - Electrical/Electronic Trade
- Certificate IV in Engineering
- Diploma of Electrical Engineering
- Advanced Diploma of Electrical - Engineering
Other Careers In This Industry
- Mon 29 Mar , 2021
- Melbourne, Victoria
Mechanical Engineering & Engineering Fabrication Apprenticeships - Across Sydney
- Apprenticeship Careers Australia
3rd – 4th Year – Mechanical Engineering – Western Sydney
1st – 4th Year – Mechanical Engineering – Minto
1st – 4th Year – Engineering Fabrication – Ingleburn
2nd Year – Engineering Fabrication – Padstow
3rd – 4th Year – Mechanical Engineering - Revesby
Apprenticeship Careers Australia (ACA) currently have an awesome opportunity for 1st – 4th Year Mechanical Engineering and Engineering Fabrication Apprentices to join our service and repair teams located all around Western Sydney. The roles are varied across the field electrical, mining, transport, tool making and precision medical engineering.
- EngineeringMechanical Engineering Draftspersons, Technicians
- Thu 25 Mar , 2021
- Revesby, New South Wales
© Department of Education, Skills and Employment, joboutlook.gov.au