Do you think you would like to design, build, maintain or renovate properties? What about working as an engineer or crane operator on a major construction site? Perhaps you fancy the idea of becoming a trade professional, such as a cabinetmaker or stonemason? If these occupations grab your attention, then you should explore the career pathways available within the Construction industry.
The Construction industry is divided into eight sectors: Residential Building; Non-Residential Building; Heavy and Civil Engineering; Land Development and Site Preparation Services; Building Structure Services; Building Installation Services ; Building Completion Services ; and Other Construction Services . Therefore the Construction industry offers many opportunities to get skilled via many different trade and technical vocational pathways.
Employment growth across the sector has recently been very strong, driven by the housing and commercial needs of an expanding population and investment in private and public infrastructure. Employment in the Construction industry has increased by 42.5 per cent (over a ten year period – ref?) making it the third-largest growth industry in Australia for this period. This makes it an exciting time to join this industry!
There are many skilled occupations to choose from: bricklayers, stonemasons, carpenters & joiners, cabinetmakers and painters to name a few. And you can build on these qualifications to attain supervisory, management qualifications or business credentials. Perhaps paving the way for you to own your own business. Check out the list of occupations below.
Training & Qualifications
Training and study options for this industry can include Apprenticeships and Traineeships (including school-based options), VET and University pathways.
You can start your career in this industry at a Certificate II level, before moving on to attain a Diploma if you wish, or even progress to University matriculation. Specific courses could include:
There are advanced qualifications to qualify for more senior roles such as:
- Carpenters and Joiners - Certificate III in Carpentry & Joinery
- Bricklayers and Stonemasons - Certificate III in Bricklaying/Blocklaying, Certificate III in Stonemason
- Plasterers - Certificate III in Wall and Ceiling Lining
- Building Site Manager - Certificate IV in Building and Construction (Site Management)
- Specialist Plumber (Air conditioning and mechanical services), Diploma of Plumbing and Services
- Civil Engineering Professionals ,Bachelor of Engineering (Civil)
- Architectural, Building & Surveying Technicians , Advanced Diploma of Building Surveying, Advanced Diploma of Surveying
Head to the Career pages to find out more >