Signwriters design, fabricate and paint signs for displays, buildings, hoardings, boats and structures.
Image sourced from Adobe Stock.
- How many are employed in this occupation?
- What are the average weekly earnings for full time workers ($ before tax)?
- How does unemployment compare with other occupations?
- What are the job prospects for this occupation?
- What will be the likely future employment growth for the next five years?
Take our Career Quiz to match your "Skill Set Style" with a career.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- conferring with clients and responding to proposals, sketches and written instructions to determine composition of signs
- designing and creating signs and graphics using computer software and signmaking machines
- designing and creating signs by measuring and calculating letter size, preparing the surface, applying background paint using brushes, sprays and rollers, and creating the letters using brushes, stencils, enamel paint and decals
- designing and creating wall murals, screen prints, gold leaf work and custom vehicle art
- painting signs and lettering using lacquers, varnishes, paints and other materials
- painting signs on brick, metal, timber, glass, plastic and other surfaces
- making and erecting three dimensional signs
- preparing cost estimates for labour and materials
- may erect and work on scaffolding
- may install signs on-site
VET (Vocational Education And Training)
- Certificate II in Construction Pathways
- Certificate III in Signage
Other Careers In This Industry
Apprentice Sign Maker
- Apex Signage Pty Ltd
- The role is for a junior Sign Maker & Graphic Designer. Your role would be predominantly in designing, printing and manufacturing signs. There would be some cases in which you would be required to assist in the installation of signs.
- Career Growth
- Friendly Team
- Growing Diverse Industry
- Advertising, Arts & MediaSignwriters
- Thu 30 Jul , 2020
- Cromer, New South Wales
- Thu 6 Aug , 2020
- Sydney, New South Wales
- Sun 2 Aug , 2020
- Wentworth Point, New South Wales
© Department of Education, Skills and Employment, joboutlook.gov.au