You may well come from a different generation to your younger members of staff and it is wise to bear this in mind when you wish to engage with them on a professional level.
Here are ten simple steps to encourage and motivate your young employees so that they become a valuable asset to your business:
- Get to know them – talk to them about what they like, don’t like, their passions and their hobbies.
- Treat them like an adult, with respect.
- Get to know their support systems, including their family and peers.
- Establish your expectations and consequences clearly from the beginning - use our Ways of Working Agreement template to do so.
- Honour the expectations you have outlined from your end – you are and will be the best role model for their behaviour.
- Agree on and write down goals for your employee and make sure they are motivated to achieve them.
- Keep communication open – if something isn’t working address it immediately. The longer you leave things, the bigger the issue will become.
- Schedule regular formal conversations at the three, six and twelve month marks to review formal goals.
- Discover what their strengths are and allow them the opportunity to use their strengths every day.
- Find ways that they can create meaning in their role and explore ways they can use technology to your advantage.