The Pakenham Racing Club opened its world-class racing and training facility at Tynong Victoria in April 2015. This facility spans 246ha & includes turf, synthetic and sand tracks, a function & events centre and a 60ha residential development for trainers dwellings & on-site stabling.
To assist with the Clubs aggressive growth plan and to continue to deliver the best racing and training surfaces in Australia, PRC are looking for a Racetrack Turf Apprentice to join our team. Reporting to the Assistant Track Manager, you’ll be working with some of the most experienced & knowledgeable Turf specialists in the country on your way to obtaining a Certificate III Sports Turf Management qualification.
So, what is this all about and what do we know is important for a career in this field?
- Presenting a premium racing surfaces is a true science and requires core skills in areas such as:
- It is about science; you’ll be learning about chemical & water use – what, why and when they should be used. Math & Ratios; then how much to apply;
- Trade School; this is a must which happens during the course of the apprenticeship;
- Communication; the racing industry involves many other industry bodies and specialists that are involved in the racing facilities. Over time, our Turf Tradespeople will liaise with various people and to do this professionally and constructively as this is key to ongoing prosperous partnerships.
- Be physically fit and able to undertake manual labour. Racetrack upkeep is an outdoor, hands-on function.
So, if you think you have the core skills that we can build on, then let us know. Don’t worry, we don’t expect you to know all of this. We have the right people to teach it to you, but we need you to have a clear understanding of the career path that this truly exciting field can take you on.
You’ll ideally have your Drivers License (Learners permit as a minimum) as our track is located in Tynong with no public transport nearby and the role is one that involves working a variety of days each week that can include evenings and weekends when the Club has scheduled race meetings.
The position is a full-time permanent apprenticeship and is based on an average of 38 hours per week.
If you think this is the career path for you, please email a short letter and resume to email@example.com . Please ensure your subject like is ‘Racetrack Turf Apprenticeship Enquiry’. This will then initiate the next step in the process for your application.
Enquiries are welcome via telephone to Tanya Ritson, People & Culture Manager on 03 5940 6642 but all applications must be in writing.