Bricklayers and Stonemasons lay bricks, pre-cut stones and other types of building blocks in mortar to construct and repair walls, partitions, arches and other structures, and cut and shape hard and soft stone blocks and masonry slabs for the construction and renovation of stone structures and monumental masonry.
Image supplied by ShureThing Carpentry
Bricklayers and Stonemasons
- How many are employed in this occupation?
- What are the average weekly earnings for full time workers ($ before tax)?
- How does unemployment compare with other occupations?
- What are the job prospects for this occupation?
- What will be the likely future employment growth for the next five years?
Take our Career Quiz to match your "Skill Set Style" with a career.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- studying plans and specifications to determine materials required, dimensions and installation procedures
- erecting and dismantling restricted height scaffolding
- sealing foundations with damp-resistant materials and spreading layers of mortar to serve as base and binder for blocks using trowels
- laying bricks in rows, designs and shapes, and spreading mortar between joints
- embedding blocks in mortar and removing excess mortar
- checking vertical and horizontal alignment
- cutting, shaping and polishing stones and bricks using machines and hand tools, and shaping bricks to fit irregular spaces
- repairing and maintaining bricks, cement blocks and related structures
- designing and cutting monumental masonry and lettering
- constructing walls using stone slabs and large masonry slab blocks
VET (Vocational Education And Training)
- Certificate II in Construction Pathways
- Certificate III in Bricklaying/Blocklaying, Certificate III in Stonemason
Other Careers In This Industry
Apprentice Cabinet Maker
- You will assist experienced cabinet makers in cutting, assembling and installing home furniture items
- A small company with skilled tradespeople who can do one on one mentoring
- A variety of work so you will quickly acquire a number of skills
- TAFE training one day a week
- Trades & ServicesCabinetmakers
- Mon 25 May , 2020
- Marrickville, New South Wales
Looking for 2nd or 3rd year Carpentry apprentice
- MXT CONSTRUCTIONS PTY LTD
- Looking for a 2nd or 3rd year Carpentry apprentice to join our team, We do residential framing and commercial cladding mainly but do all aspects of carpentry.
any further questions please dont hesitate to contact Ryan on 0430227161.
Looking for some to start immediately!
- Learn from the best
- Always paid on time, plus double for overtime
- Thrive in a great working team environment
- Trades & ServicesCarpenters and Joiners
- Fri 1 May , 2020
- Greensborough, Victoria
- Tue 2 Jun , 2020
- Townsville, Queensland
© Department of Education, Skills and Employment, joboutlook.gov.au