But now it’s time to get started and prove to your employer that they’ve made the right decision in hiring you! Here’s some helpful information to help you shine in the initial stages of your new job.
Preparing for the first day of work
The first day at your new job is critical for making the right impression. Sometimes it’s hard to envisage exactly what will happen on your first day, which can be a little daunting, so you need to be as prepared as possible.
- Be sure to get a good night's sleep before your first day of work and set an alarm!
- Test the route to work before your first day. Once you know exactly how long it takes from your door to your workplace during peak hour, allow an extra ten minutes for good measure. It never hurts to be early for your first day!
- Read up! One way to really impress your boss on the first day is to show up with a good understanding of what the company does. Thanks to the internet, this should be easy! Read your company’s website and anything else you can find about them online. You don’t need to tell them you’ve done this, but it is good for your understanding and general awareness, in case you’re asked a question by the boss or anyone higher up.
- Think about what you are going to wear. What were other employees wearing when you went for your interview? Start your day with a hearty breakfast. You will be taking in a lot of information and meeting new people, which can be very tiring, so ensuring you eat a good breakfast will help you sustain your energy.
- Pack your lunch. You may not be aware of the lunch routine at your new workplace, so we recommend you take your lunch, just in case you can’t get out to buy something.
- Pack a notepad. It’s hard to remember everything on your first day, so it’s a good idea to take notes that you can refer back to.