Chefs plan and organise the preparation and cooking of food in dining and catering establishments. (Cooks, Fast Food Cooks and Kitchenhands are excluded from this group).
Photo supplied by Bellaroma Coffee
- How many are employed in this occupation?
- What are the average weekly earnings for full time workers ($ before tax)?
- How does unemployment compare with other occupations?
- What are the job prospects for this occupation?
- What will be the likely future employment growth for the next five years?
|Very strong growth|
Take our Career Quiz to match your "Skill Set Style" with a career.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- planning menus, estimating food and labour costs, and ordering food supplies
- monitoring quality of dishes at all stages of preparation and presentation
- discussing food preparation issues with Managers, Dietitians and kitchen and waiting staff
- demonstrating techniques and advising on cooking procedures
- preparing and cooking food
- explaining and enforcing hygiene regulations
- may select and train staff
- may freeze and preserve foods.
VET (Vocational Education And Training)
- Certificate III in Commercial Cookery
- Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery
Other Careers In This Industry
Apprentice Baker and Pastry Cook
- Earlyrise Baking Company
- Working predominantly day shifts, the Earlyrise Baking team in Dubbo will assist you in learning the art of making quality, award winning products using the latest technology within a modern factory.
- We are daytime bakers
- Excellent career progression opportunities
- Earn while you learn in a young and friendly team environment
- Hospitality & TourismBakers and Pastrycooks
- Mon 18 Jun , 2018
- Dubbo, New South Wales
- Tue 12 Jun , 2018
- West Ballina, New South Wales
Apprentice Chef (1st or 2nd Year)
- Ventuno Restaurant
- We are looking for a 1st or 2nd year apprentice chef to join our dynamic team. You will be working alongside two of our wonderful chefs who will teach you everything you need to know to be a Number 1 Chef.
- Opportunity to learn from some of Sydney's best chefs
- Fantastic opportunity to work in Sydney's Walsh Bay Precinct
- Opportunity to study at TAFE whilst learning the practical skills required to become a qualified chef
- Hospitality & TourismChefs
- Wed 30 May , 2018
- Millers Point, New South Wales
Career data sourced from: http://joboutlook.gov.au/