The weather is warming up which means so are your job prospects! There are a huge number of employers looking for staff just like you to help over the busy Summer months, so why not take advantage of sunshine and earn yourself some cash money at the same time.
So where should your search begin? Online is great start, there are a heap of online websites connecting you with prospective employers Australia wide, be careful though there can be some dodgy jobs online so ensure you do you research before meeting anyone regarding a job, in this day and age you can never be too careful!
I’m a much bigger fan of dropping your resume, by hand to the places you are keen to work at. For example, if you want to help out in the local café get together a one-pager outlining the following:
- Name, address, DOB, contact email
- A paragraph about yourself, outlining your hobbies, favouite subjects at school and reasons why you think you would be a great fit for the job. It could be something as simple as you are a big fan of their brand (if you are applying at a clothing shop) or their triple chocolate banana split flavor is your favourite thing in the world (if you are applying at an ice-cream parlor)
- Then note down your schooling background (eg the schools you went too and all of the studies you have completed)
- It’s also worth mentioning any awards, special achievements or fundraising you have been involved in while at school.
- Finally list all of your hobbies and out of school activities you partake in
When you hand deliver your resume simply ask for the manager on duty and explain to them that you are looking for Summer work and would love to leave your resume for them to look over. 9 times out of ten then will ask you if you have time for a 5-minute chat then and there, and if you impress them they will most likely offer you a “trial” shift in the next couple of weeks to see how you work and if they should hire you. In my opinion you can’t beat a face to face introduction, chances are they will remember you and dropping your resume yourself ensures it is handed to the right people within the company that make the decisions.
Here’s another awesome idea to search for your ultimate Summer job, don’t search – create! If you’ve been dreaming about a certain project or have an idea to make some extra moula in the Summer break, then jump on it! This could be the perfect time to create your Summer empire, with apps such as Airtasker
it’s never been so simple to apply, post and pitch for your own work. There are so many jobs available on the app and the beauty is you get paid as soon as the job is done, it really is the perfect way to do odd jobs, keep your days interesting and earn cash fast.
Gumtrees Job Board
is also full of cool jobs Australia wide, where you can apply online, read a little more about what they are looking for, upload your resume and wait for the interviews to come rolling in. Remember it is important to stand out from the crowd, so make sure your resume is well thought out and the correct spelling and punctuation is used. If you are a little unsure have your parents or older friends read over it to ensure you haven’t missed anything. A second set of eyes can never hurt!
And there you have it, you are ready to take on the ultimate Summer job, gain valuable experience and make some money all while having lots of fun!