The Room Leader is a qualified childcare professional with responsibility for the day- to-day running of their room. The room Leader is responsible for the room management to ensure a high-quality Service is consistently maintained in all areas and aspects of the Service.
In respect to the Children, the Room Leader will:
· Plan for the long, short-term and spontaneous needs of the children using observations and knowledge in relation to interests, skills, abilities, background and culture.
· Maintain high degree of integrity and empathy when dealing with children
· Establish and maintain suitable developmental records and observations daily based on the Centre’s philosophy.
· Ensure that a safe, clean hygienic environment exists at all times
· In respect to the Program the Room Leader will
· Be responsible for developing a plan with specific individual planning, responsive to the special needs of the parents and children in the group. Make specific use of observations and family background information in the planning process.
· To create a friendly, secure, stimulating and interactive learning environment for the children at all times.
In respect to the Centre Policies and procedures, the Room Leader will:
· Reflect sound knowledge of operational policies and procedures e.g. health & safety, child protection, behaviour management and administering of medication
· Maintain the procedures, policies and practices in the Centre
· In respect to the staff, the Room Leader will:
· Attend all staff meetings held monthly and as required.
· Participate in at least two Professional Development courses annually
· Attend conscientiously to the HEALTH AND SAFETY of each of the children.
· Develop a co-operative relationship with all staff members to ensure a smoothly operated Centre and a consistently caring, secure and active environment where quality care and education is provided for all children at all times
· Reflect high standards of conflict resolution skills
In respect to the Parents, the Room Leader will:
· Maintain excellent customer service.
· Develop a good report with the parents. Learning their names. .
· Inform parents about the program and consult with the parents about their child’s individual needs. Encourage effective use of Communication Books, verbally and physically explain room procedures. Be aware of the medication requirements daily and administer medication as per Centre policy
Communication & Development
In respect to the Communication & Development, the Room Leader will:
· Establish and maintain effective communication systems with staff and parents.
Participate in formal and informal processes of communication and Professional development exchange with staff and parents:
· Attend a minimum of two in-services per year
· Attend staff meetings Ensure information is passed onto parents.
· Keep staff & parent notice boards updated Read and acknowledge weekly memos
In respect to the Community, the Room Leader will:
· Actively participate in seeking and establishing networks within the community.
· Be aware of the diverse needs of the Community using the Centre. To assist the Director in establishing a system of referral for families.
· Participate and initiate a two-way relationship with the community, such as excursions and visitors to the Centre. Records In respect to Records, the Room Leader will:
· In respect to Records, the Room Leader will:
· Maintain Centre records as per required for child records, planning, programming and evaluating.
Code of Ethics
In respect to the Code of Ethics, The Room Leader will:
· Have a sound Knowledge of the Australian Early Childhood Code of Ethics.
· Will abide by the values and processes that are considered central to the Early Childhood Code of Ethics.
· Enthusiastic, friendly and flexible to approach.
· Honest, trustworthy and reliable.
· Reflective, commitment to Equal Opportunities and commitment to Continuous Improvement
· Creative and confident