Fitters and Machinists fit and assemble fabricated metal parts into products, set up machining tools, production machines and textile machines, and operate machining tools and machines to shape metal stock and castings.
- How many are employed in this occupation?
- What are the average weekly earnings for full time workers ($ before tax)?
- How does unemployment compare with other occupations?
- What are the job prospects for this occupation?
- What will be the likely future employment growth for the next five years?
This role would suite the below personality styles:
Take our Career Quiz to match your "Personality Style" with a career.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks.
- studying drawings and specifications to determine suitable material, method and sequence of operations, and machine settings
- fitting fabricated metal parts into products and assembling metal parts and subassemblies to produce machines and equipment
- checking fabricated and assembled metal parts for accuracy, clearance and fit using precision measuring instruments
- setting guides, stops and other controls on machining tools, setting up prescribed cutting and shaping tools and dies in machines and presses, and setting controls for textile machines
- forming metal stock and castings to fine tolerances using machining tools to press, cut, grind, plane, bore and drill metal
- cutting, threading, bending and installing hydraulic and pneumatic pipes and lines
- preparing pattern mechanisms to control the operation of textile machines used to spin, weave, knit, sew and tuft fabric
- diagnosing faults and performing operational maintenance of machines, and overhauling and repairing mechanical parts and fluid power equipment
- may erect machines and equipment on-site
- Fitter and Turner
- Metal Machinist (First Class)
- Textile, Clothing and Footwear Mechanic
- Metal Fitters and Machinists
VET (Vocational Education And Training)
- Certificate III in Engineering - Mechanical Trade - Maintenance - Fitting and Turning
Other Careers In This Industry
- Sat 17 Feb , 2018
- Perth, Western Australia
1ST CLASS MACHINIST
- WITTENBAKER ENGINEERING SERVICES PTY LTD
- • 1st Class Machinist- with experience in, In-situ machining, line boring, milling, flange facing, radial milling
• 1st Class Machinist-Turner Conventional and Vertical Borer experience
• 1st Class Machinist- Horizontal Borer experience
• 1st Class Machinist- Multi skilled with Turning, Milling and Boring experience
- Mining, Resources & EnergyFitters and Machinists
- Mon 12 Mar , 2018
- $80,001 - $90,000
- Henderson, Western Australia
- Mon 20 Jun , 2016
- Karratha, Western Australia
Career data sourced from: http://joboutlook.gov.au/